Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Art of Re -Design!!

Re-designing? What's that? Re-designing is to take an article of clothing and change it so much that it  has now taken on a new life. I know that sounds dramatic but it truly can be ! I've taken a long lavender taffeta floor length skirt that I bought at a thrift store (of course) and turned it into a great hip fringed mini skirt. I could see the mini skirt as soon as I picked up the long skirt -the material was a great color and it had so much potential but the design was off. I could visualize the modern mini style.I'm sure this piece would have never sold at the thrift because taffeta and long skirts have been long gone in the fashion scene for a while!

Ladies, lets do this!
Go through your closet and pick out something you still love (because its still in your closet) but do not wear very often. You've kept it because you love the color,the buttons, how it fits you, etc. Next, sketch out the garment as it is now. Next step is to start taking off elements or adding in elements such as changing the sleeves, adding in some new texture, changing some buttons.. and so on. Think about dying the fabric. See what happens before your eyes. Let your creative side take over. Before you know it -you've redesigned your first garment.

Try it out.. and post your creations here. I'd love to see what your redesigns look like!!

No comments:

Post a Comment